Saturday, September 13, 2014

Cleaning the city cleans the soul.



Everyone wants to live in a utopia, a place where everyone has a place, is part of something and no problems exist. This is not where we currently find our selves, but this morning I awoke from my safe slumber at the Safe Park dream Center. I had slept good, feeling the cool breeze of the storm last night and felt refreshed. I was off to go help with the Tucson Arts Brigade  Day of Service. A annual event of giving back to the community in remembrance of the September 11th Attack. The problem is I missed my bus, and had to take a more scenic route. I got there just in time to get started. Many were still trying to wake up as responsibility is a full time job. It was sunny, but not hot, people were friendly and introduced themselves . There were several organizations including R4 Community and Our Family Services. We started with picking up garage left on the sides of the road and near schools and churches. We continued with cleaning the mural made by the Tucson Arts Brigade years ago, that had been designed by some of their Art Students. We then touched up the mural, removed the tagging. When looking at the difference I could not help but mention how it reminded me of what happens when we invest on someone down on their luck. They lack the resources to be neat and presentable, but you give them some TLC and you see what looks to be a successful person. The murals looked much better and even given a new look. (Hint look at the 3D effect when walking up the steps.)

News 4 Tucson  Reporter- Domenica Fuller, stopped by for a show and tell session.
One of the Young Artists is currently designing another mural the Tucson Arts Brigade talking about making at Central City Assembly, as all of you that follow my blog would know is the Safe Park Dream. Another was adding extra flavor to another mural at the Pedestrian Over Pass on 29th and Columbus. I also got a chance to work with a beautiful single mother, who is training to be an abstract artist. There was no more than a dozen people but that area looked much better afterwards. many of the neighborhood residents walked by with smiles and giving us thanks. All I could do was be glad to giving back to a community that has helped me so much, they deserved this and it only takes getting involved. Even a thumbs up from a cop who went by in a patrol car.
So there we were a few artists in training, a homeless Activist offering Sweat trade, a few other community supported organizations and Tucson Arts Brigade doing what it does the best. The only tagging we left was one that stated We Want The Arts Brigade!



No comments:

Post a Comment